I Forge Iron

help metal burning blue flame

heated metal got from junk yard last night when at light orange heat the metal its self turned to a blue flame when took out of forge the metal kept the blue flame then it went away then when hit with a hammer it came back, in the air there were white puffs of or slivers floating around we then discarded the metal for fear of toxin when it cooled it had a white residue covering the heated area

please help

What Mark said.

It doesn't matter what it is, if it starts acting oddly STOP. Shut off the forge. Get out of the shop and then get it out of the shop when it's cool. Dispose of it safely.

There are so many dangerous metals in common usage you can't afford to take the risk. It can be fatal to heat a number of them if you're exposed. Zinc is really tame stuff compared to some.

The next time you fire up that forge do it outside and leave it burn for a while. The ONLY reason I don't advise disposing of the forge all together is I think you probably got hold of galvy plated steel and are at low risk for residual exposure. So long as you CLEAN IT OUT OUTSIDE.

You have to be more careful. This stuff can KILL you if you don't know what you're doing. I don't mean just you Howard, I mean everydarnedbody! Had that been cadmium plating you could very well be irreversibly dying right NOW and not even know it.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty