I Forge Iron

Punching Hammer Eyes

Warren Nakkela

Hello all and Merry CHRISTmas,
I just recently discovered this site and I am still excited. I used to do some forge work on this farm, mostly repair work and plowshares. I will be retiring, still on the farm and will be getting back into Blacksmithing. From what I have been reading on I Forge Iron I am now convinced that you folks are down to earth people, salt of the Earth. There is so much to learn here. I just wish that this tool was available when I was 20.
One problem which I have in the past is punching eyes in hammers and other anvil tools. Any advice would be appreciated. When I have tried to punch an eye the punch would get hot and deform and stick. I would drill a starting hole but haven't had much success. How is this done. Do I need hot working steel for the punch?
Warren

I use H13 steel to make punches for hammer eyes, but you could use S2 or S7 as well. Don't quench them as they air harden, but you can dip them in a punch lube......dip as in quickly. Shape the punch to the size handles you will use, weld on a mild steel handle, and go.url%5D

10161.attach