I Forge Iron

Knife for my brother.

Confederate Forge

This is a knife I am working on for my brother. It is made from a used farriers rasp. The handle is a deer antler that our uncle gave us when we were kids. The piece of steel sticking out past the handle will be bent over and filed smooth after it is tempered. I am still working on some type of sheeth for it. Let me know what you think.

10148.attach

10149.attach

10150.attach

10151.attach

10152.attach

The only pic that came out clearly is the last one, resting on your hand.

It's quite a dramatic blade and goes nicely with the extra gnarley antler handle. I think I'd do a closed scroll or a small punch and drifted eye on the part of the tang extending past the handle for a lanyard attachment.

I find this blade a lot more attractive to view than I would've thought, had you simply described it. I would've thought leaving the teeth on the rasp as is would make it look pretty half much half finished and crude.

I am surprised and pleased to admit it looks darned good. Dramatic is the one word that keeps coming to mind.

I like it.

Frosty

Thanks frosty. I would say out of all the knifes I have made (not to many) I like this one the best. I like the lanyard idea I think I will do that. The teeth still look really sharp on the blade but they are not. It is probley hard to tell in the pics but the farriers rasp are different on either side (one ruff side one finish side) which I really like. I have been brainstorming all kinds of differnt little things to do with this knife and I am happy with the way it came out. This is the first tanged knife I have tried. The handle has a nice tight fit to my surprise. I was going for a real rugged low teck look. Kinda like it might have been done way back in the day without modern equipment. This knife will also be all hand filed and sharpened. I think my brother will be pleased with it. I have been thinking of making another knife out of a big ratchet for my other brother.

Edited by Confederate Forge
Forgot something.

I'm familiar with shoe rasps and think the rasp side would look best. However, seeing as my recent conversion to thinking it could look good at all is fresh in my mind I'll reserve judgment on the far side till you show us some pics. Preferably FOCUSED pics. ;)

What's piqued my interest is the reptilian look of the blade. Makes me go Hmmmmmm.

Frosty