I Forge Iron

Next Project

I recently made a hatchet from a ball peen hammer. I want something I can throw at some targets. Should the next one I make have a slightly curved edge or straight? I know the curved edge is more suited to axes as it helps to concentrate the force but not sure about it on a throwing tomahawk. Also where can one find drifts for the handles (preferabbly a store bought one I can copy later). I probably won't start this till after the new year but wanted input now while I am drawing/designing it out.

Thanx for the help guys.

Edited by darksaber

Throwing axes work best with a 90 degree angle from the top of the hatchet to the leading edge and straight. A curved edge will often fall out after hitting squarely on the target. I used to throw hatchets as a hobby and a plain old carpenter's hatchet is one of the best designs around, especially with an unbreakable handle.

He's working hot Brandon, it just doesn't look like it because it's broad daylight on an overcast day. There's a fire going, he's using visegrips, taking heat breaks in the tape and last but far from least he couldn't move steel that far cold, especially the hard way bend and drawing the edge down.

The color of the steel is another dead giveaway.

Good video, thanks for posting the link.

Frosty

I don't think he was trying to hide the fact he was heating the steel. I think he was just cutting the boring parts.

While folk tend to laugh at a claw hammer at the forge they can come in handy, especially if you're still getting it together. The claws work pretty well for straightening, bending and scrolling if you don't have anything else.

Frosty