I Forge Iron

help with steel id

rebelbuck24

Most stores don't carry them, Except Metalsupermarket does carry O-1 and D-2

Straight carbon steels can be had from the internet sites.

If you want more detail, then first we need to know what you wish to make, as that has a major berring on the steels to use, also what are you going to do with them yourself? stock removal or forge?

There is a lot more to making fine blades than just banging on steel, tho that is the funnest part.

I'm wanting to make knives. Probably start out with some sort of kitchen knife and then work my way up to nice hunting knife. Also will be forging. Finally got my forge built. Eventually try forge welding. My local hardware store sells flats and rounds of steel but they are just marked hot and cold rolled. Would either of these be suitable for practice until i'm ready to start a good build.

No, hot and cold rolled steel will not work for a knife. It will not harden, and, therefore, will not make a servicable edge.

Cold rolled steel is often 1018. The 10 in 10xx means plain carbon, no other alloys, and the 18 means 0.18% carbon. I've heard that 0.30% or 0.40% is the minimum for a knife, but usually, you'd want a higher carbon content.

Files are often 1095, that's a good plain hich carbon steel.

You might have books on knife making in your library if you live in a larger town. Some have a very good discriptions of various steels, and you can probably locate all the information on this site.

Cold rolled steel can be good practice for forging a blade, it would make a good letter opener.

Edited by JohnW
correct the decimal points

Are there any commercial stores that carry those kind of steels...ie...ace, tractor supply, home depot, lowes, or would i be wasting my time trying to find them? Right now i'm going to pick up some cold roll for practice beating on metal. I'm clear on the 10xx numbering system of steels but i'm confused on the O's and D's W's stuff. I read over a pdf file that was linked somewhere on here and i'm even more lost now.

you arnt going to find any hi carbon ath the regular hardware stores . you can try industrial supply stores like granger msc ect .. or steel supplyires like Admiral Steel - Knife & Sword Blade Steels or others.. or look for local specialty steel supplyiers ... you will need to learn how to treat your steel (normalize harden and temper) . i think it would be a good idea to find a knife maker or blacksmith in your area for some hands on teaching as it is hard to learn some of this stuff from the written word. good luck!

One problem learning with mild steel is that it does not work the same way as knife steels.

IF you want to get started learning, as I assume from this posts tone, then go to a junk/scrap yard , Used leaf springs are not suggested for a fine blade due to many things listed in many other places, they are great for practicing, as they are higher carbon, and heat/work like many simple blade steels.