I Forge Iron

Visiting another forge and equipment

I like many others started out using another persons equipment... as time went on I have accumulated my own and have grown pretty accustomed to it.

Today I had the chance to visit with the Wabash Valley Black Smith Assoc, friendly bunch who made me feel very welcome and with 5 forge stations available had the chance to hammer a bit. Rick, Max, Tex, John and the rest of the guys was great

First the project I had in mind didn't work out, I only took one hammer with me and a couple sticks of 1/2inch square stock. So other than my Hofi 2.75 pound hammer, everything else was "borrowed". I will also admit that it has been a very long time since I smithed side by side with someone, I had trouble keeping my attention on my own work:D, so much going on I found myself forever looking around.

I don't have a lot of time in using the Hofi, It is the best hammer I have ever used for moving mass, but I'm not used to the square head for smaller detail work. So I scrapped the first idea and after a while started making some "crucifixion nails". 3/8" shank 6-8 " long with a square 5 facet head.

It really took me a little while to get into the flow of using a strange forge, anvil, tongs... But in the end I had a great time.

I really look forward to pulling out my own "stuff" again though. Gives me an even bigger ITCH to get that barn turned into a shop!:D

Part of the fun of watching visiting smith demo, is the fact that they all struggle with the same thing, unfamiliar equipment, we all laugh and understand the struggle, and it encourages us wwhen they have a bit of a hard time, because we know it will be our turn, and we will face the same thing, it is a right of passage in my eyes, to go to unfamiliar territory, and stand in front of a group of your peers, and show what you can do.