I Forge Iron

first forge ???

rebelbuck24

Just getting started first off. but...i have an anvil, some hammers, and picked up a nice brake rotor for a fire pot. I have an old grill body to use as a shell so to speak to hold everything together. Now for my problem.....went to the hardware store today looking for pipe to make a (not sure of proper term) but pipe to bring air into the forge from the bottom. Around what size pipe should use? i found a video on youtube of a guy making a forge from a brake drum and used like 3 to 4" pipe with a verticle section running to a T-joint, and a section running horizontal for air intake, then a cap at the bottom. However, my home depot doesn't carry anything near that size... does it need to be that big..or just big enough to bring plenty of air with the pressure supplied. the biggest my home depot carries is 2". Any ideas??

I ain't a pro but 2" sounds small. Both my forges have 3 1/2 to 4 inch pipe. It's called a tuyere but I am not sure if that's how you spell it!:confused:
The size pipe depends on the blower you use. I like my pipe to be about as big around as the mouth on the blower so it will be easy to hook up. That way you don't have to worry about reducing/increasing pipe sizes. A good connection from the blower to the air pipe is big rubber pipe, found in plumbing in Lowes/Home Depo. It's what I use! Tire tube with clamps work good too. I'm sure some other guys on here can give you better info than I, and maybe even some pixs!

Here is a picture of the forge I use now! Notice the air piping under the fire pot.
361.jpg
Not a good close up but that's all I have. The tube is the deminsions I named earlier. The ash dump is bolted on to the piping by means of a small piece welded on the tube. You can see the handle for opening and closing the dump on this side of the tube in the picture. A piece of tubing the same size as the one going up & down is welded to the side. Conected to that is a piece of tractor trailor exaust tube and finally the rubber plumbing pipe connects it to the blower. (Very authentic to my 1860 impersonation!!! Matches my hammer too!!!:D) Kinda pieced together I know, but it doesn't leak ANY air. Anyway, that's one example of what it's can look like!