I Forge Iron

Mystery hammer 3

Iron Falcon 72

Looks like a heavy duty cold cut. We used to make them at the steel mill were I apprenticed.We made them for millwrights to use out in the various mills.The cutting end is too blunt for a hot cut, but is made to withstand use with a sledge hammer when cold cutting.

Hot, cold, chisel, hot set, cold set.... as you can see there are various names for basically the same thing. Hot cutting handled chisels tend to be thinner than the cold variety, preferences vary. Here is version on EBay that is a pretty well photographed example of what I would consider heads that are a bit thick for two hot cuts.

The reason that hot cuts have a curve to the edge is so that you can "walk" the hot cut along a line and have one continuous cut. Without the curved edge, it is more difficult to have one continuous clean cut.

NICE! HUGE VINTAGE BLACKSMITH CUTTER HAMMER HEAD TOOL - eBay (item 120344565193 end time Dec-10-08 20:48:01 PST)

Edited by UnicornForge