I Forge Iron

champion speed controler

eddie

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for a champion fan motor controller. The controller has a ceramic plate inside that has points where the handle slides across for speed control. This ceramic plate is what I need to replace. After talking with several suppliers the cost of a new speed controller is 200.00 for 230 volt motor.
Eddie

I have a Champion speed control somewhere in the shop and once looked inside. As far as I can tell, not being an engineer, it looks like a rheostat. My advice is to go to a company that sells motors and motor controllers and inquire about a rheostat that matches your motor. Maybe they will even have an appropriate rheostat that will also fit inside the Champion metal housing.

There are always a few "new old stock" Ohmite ceramic rheostats on Ebay that usually go fairly cheap. That is what I run on my Buffalo 2E blower. I bought a 150 watt model L.

You can also use a common light dimmer switch or fan speed control, however you will have to replace them every year or so. At least that has been my experience.

Edit: I just reread your post and noticed the 230 volt comment. If your motor is 230 volt, I have no experience with 230 volt speed controllers. My comments apply to 110 volt universal type motors only.

Edited by BT
addl. info