I Forge Iron

Any experience using Stellite out there?

Falconer

A customer recently asked if I'd make him a knife out of stellite. All I know about it is that it's used to line the throat of machine gun barrells and it isn't forgible...till about 4000 degrees. I understand it's cast as closely to its finished shape as possible because it's so hard to work.

He wants to order a knife-sized blank of it from company in Canada (for about 500.00). I don't want to get into trying to grind a 500.00 knife blank and have it wear out my grinders...or worse, not be able to do it.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Dr. Jim Hirousolous (sp) did it once, it was enough for him.

I personally have stellited (hard faced) literally hundreds of plow lay edges using Oxy/Acet torch to apply it. It grinds similar but a bit harder than carbide lathe tools and it shows very dull red small sparks similar to Cast Iron and Stainless. You should probably pass on it, and if you happen to drop it, you may have several pieces to pick up.

Well all i know is it's not far from me here is the web page.
I'm sure they can provide you with any info you need.
Good luck if you decide to make the knife be sure and let us know how it works out.
Bob
Deloro Stellite Group - Global Provider of Wear-Resistant, Alloy-Based Materials and Components