I Forge Iron

Greetings from South Carolina!

aprayinbear

Greetings to everyone. I am, as the expression goes, a newbie when it comes to iron & steel. I was a furniture maker for many years and for enjoyment have made furniture, a few boats, scrimshawed a powder horn or two, turned a cabinet full of bowls and have made numerous "Nordic Style" knives (with blades forged by other craftspeople.) I am fortunate to finally have space and time to build my own forge and with the help of folks like you, maybe I'll finally get to hammer a bit of iron myself.

While surfing the net I stumbled on Tim Lively's site. Love his knives and love the forge plans he offers. I also plan on downloading his knifemaking video. Looks like it will help me answer a lot of questions.

Sure am glad I found you folks too. Hope you can tolerate my questions as they arise.

Blessings All Around,
Duffy:D

Welcome aboard Duffy.

Lots of current blacksmiths used to be wood workers who just wanted that special gouge, plane iron, cabinet hardware, etc. Once the hot iron bug bites there's no reliable cure.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location you'll fine there are probably folk close enough to lend a hand directly. It'll also be handy if I'm in your neighborhood and need a nap or hot lunch. :rolleyes:

Frosty