I Forge Iron

... kinda Blacksmith-related ...

Greetings all,
Last night I completed a 10 class silversmithing course at a local college (Mohawk College in Hamilton for those smiths who live in Ontario). I LOVED IT !!! It was such a blast. We had to make 2 rings for our credit, a simple cast band ( using the lost-wax method), and a fabricated ring soldered using silver sheet and silver-solder. I ended up making 3 rings. The cast band I wear now until I can get my wedding ring re-sized. The big ring in the pictures is another cast ring I made - my blacksmith's ring. It is BIG (0.8 troy-ounces / 25 grams of solid .926 silver). Sorry if the pictures are a bit fuzzy (camera-phone) but the details on the side-shots is a hammer and anvil. The stone is a hand-cut/polished bloodstone I bought last summer.
The fabricated band will be a grad-ring for my daughter (I did the pierce work) - it's a surprise.
I wanted to share this with you all because it was such a great experience - I'm signing up for the part two tonight.

Sam

Thanks guys.
I had a lot of fun making it.
The sharp edges of the hammer and anvil got really rounded off after all the cleaning and polishing after it was cast, but I think you can still make it out.
My instructor was great. She even took my ring to her caster and had a cold mold of it made for me so that I could make more rings in the future.
Signed up for part 2 last night - can't wait.
Sam