I Forge Iron

I love this site!!!

awlthumbs

I have always been a tinkerer. Now I get to retire and I hope to do some serious tinkering. My father-in-law gave me his father's 200# Peter Wright anvil and I have been addicted ever since. I gave him my 1st spike knife and he is real proud of it. I hope this winter to make myself a power hammer. I can only drool to watch the on-line demos. I have been lurking on this site for several weeks and find it top notch. As soon as I get something good to show you will be the first , as I probably got the idea from all the great posters here.

I have just started putting my shop together. i made a couple of propane forges, real small ones. I just wanted enough heat to work with some spikes, (that same great old dad-in-lawgave me about 300# of spikes he had collected) and make tongs, etc. I really like the venturi burners I built from various plans on the net. I made a charcoal forge and liked it too, but I haven't found a source for coal yet. I got a 4" leg vise off ebay , but so far have just puttered around when I could. Hope to really get into it this new year.