I Forge Iron

ironwork used as toy

SWE_Karl

This is a reasonable queston as the request arrises from time to time. This is a family forum and I have intentionally edited the original post and redirected the conversation from a specific interest of consenting adults to making and selling ironwork in general.

Please continue the conversation with upmost caution in your comments to keep the topic on selling ironwork in a general nature.

Thanks You
Glenn - site admin

SWE_Karl, I have no problems with your question being ask, but have redirected the question so it so it could be answered in general terms. Please understand no offense is ment to you by these actions.

The question WAS reasonable and deserves an answer. It just needed the wording adjusted to fit the forum.

Most times I try to avoid this area of blacksmithing (producing restraints). There are commerical products on the market that are available, the police use them daily.

To make something intended to be used on another human is a personal decision, but understand that it is YOUR product being used. The individuals usinig the product may NOT have the good judgment to know when to stop, and the product could easily be misused. If for instance, a restraint was being used and the building were to catch fire, your restraint cause an injury or death.

There was a discussion a while back on another forum about a knife made by a blacksmith being used as the weapon of choice to kill a person. The knife maker was understandably upset. As I recall it occupied the conversation for several weeks and ended up being a hoax. But the reality check was certainly presented to the forum, it could happen.

The call to make the product is yours, but I would ask if you also want to make that product knowing the intended use.

Others are welcome to express their opinions. I would rather have a discussion and form an opiniion before I was ask to make something of this nature, than to try to come up with the answer on the spur of the moment with the client in front of me waving money.

I'll discuss the question in general terms:

Apart from the ethical discussion, I think there is a real liability issue to restraints and certain other items.

I am not a knife/sword maker but many years ago, I worked with a guy who was into medieval "Renaissance Fair" role-playing. He asked for a pair of custom push knives for his play acting and I made them to his design. They had double-barred handles with finger/wrist guards and 10" dagger blades. After I was done, I held them in my hands and shuddered a little - because I had created a couple of serious weapons. Told my wife they would probably win in trained hands against anything but projectile weapons. I was somewhat reluctant to give them to a casual acquaintance known to me only thru work - plus this fellow was a little weird anyway (always trust your gut because it is seldom wrong).

I went ahead and sold the knives to him, then he left the company shortly thereafter. I forgot about it for several years until I ran across a co-worker who had stayed in touch with 'Boy Wonder' - sure enough, he had been rehearsing with another role player using naked blades and stabbed himself in a leg. It did not cut an artery but put him into the ER for a while. It was his poor judgement but I still felt badly about it.

I realize knifemakers probably have good opinions on the issue but I decided then not to build anything similar because I did not want it on my conscience - or have to worry about getting a call from a lawyer. I have disclaimers on my website and do not make anything in the questionable categories. I don't condemn anyone who does - you just have to make your own decision and live with the possible consequences.

a few years back I built a bed for a couple that wanted it to be designed for restraints and had a distictive gothic look and was built to hold up to heavy play.....it was very good money I remember!
I've had many crazy requests over the years and I've never turned down any, they're the most fun because they present certain engineering challenges, I'v built a good reputation by building anything and everything in metal. I do make knives and swords also, but building a weapon that was meant for inflicting injury on another would be wrong. but a bed for adults to play around in, that's just fun......

M-01:Edited for word content

Good Gravy :roll:

That sums it up well.

I had a local here aske me to make a steel gate for him. Nothing fancy, just something rustic looking. It took me about a day to complete and he offered to pay me $200,000 yen (a little under $2000).

I gladly made his gate

It's called Supply and Demand. If someone want a stout 8 foot tall birdcage looking thingy to put their partner in, and they're willing to pay good money for it, then I'm gonna make it for them.

Just my 2 cents worth

Bob :)

SWE_Karl

I agree with dan and metalmonkey. Make them if you get the chance and test the market. I have not investigated the market extenively for these items, but it is very specialized and therefore carries a premium price.

A friend of mine once wanted me to go into the business (with him) of making medieval style restraints, he has some knowledge of and experience with these devices, and the numbers that we discussed were very good and tempting, however I was working on another project and could not do it. Apparently there is an upper class fetish market that has quite the disposable income.

I have seen some "custom" work of a similar nature for sale at a show(don't ask how I came to be at such a show) and the vendor and his two girl friends apparently support themselves and travel fairly well.

And I reccomend lining them with satin covered soft padding. For safety, of course. LOL

This thread has been up for a while and representative replies have been made to answer the question.

Because of the nature of the thread, I will condense (rewrite) the material and lock the topic from additional posting. If you have comments, contact me directly.