I Forge Iron

Smithing in my heritage but I am new

Cogburn

My great grandfather was a blacksmith and my grandfather worked for the Missouri Pacific Railroad for 42 years. My grandfather had a forge and a working steam engine and a nice shop. I used to hang out there all the time and marvel at what he could do with his hands and hand tools. I have his old anvil and some of his hammers and tongs and things. I want to start doing some forging of iron. Small items at first like hooks and drawer handles. Maybe some knives later on.

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! You are a very fortunate person to have the tools your grandfather used. Good for you. There are some really good blueprints here for making small item like you mentioned. please post pictures when done. Feel free to ask questions (if you have any), there is sure to be someone here to give an answer. I would suggest that you take a couple of minutes click on "User CP" in the green bar at the top of the page, there you can update your profile giving your location. You maybe surprised to find one of us 'just up the street' willing to give a helping hand! Once again, welcome.