I Forge Iron

New Work

Good work. keep going. I have never made / used a hoofpick nor seen one used so can't comment. For the leaf, the point should be more well formed by putting a good sharp point on the end of the stock before you neck it and shape the leaf. To form a more symetrical leaf I would put the stock on edge and hit on the edge facing up. Work the center first, then if needed spread the metal on the far half then complete on the near half using your hammers peen..

If you haven already I would pick up a good book on smithing either at the local library or from amazon. This site and others have some good reviews. Here is the forum on IFI.

Nice job on the hoofpick. I was making one at a demo where a stagecoach was being run and the driver came by to watch. He said a good hoof pick was flat not pointed, the better to scrape and not gouge the hoof. That's how I make them now.

So I took the hoof pick out this morning to test it on my to horses. One is shod the other is barefoot. On both of my horses this style of pick allowed me to have more leverage. The point of the pick itself, I feel, as a horse owner and daily user, that this pick works well for me. I like that the point is a little blunted. I noticed that this pick allowed me to scrape under the inside rim of the shoe to remove the crud.

I will also take all of the suggestion in to account,because I plan on selling this item to a local tack shop up the road from me. I do have a smith made pick in my grooming bucket, Love it and it does have a chiseled point. It works great. and will continue to use it as well.

What I am trying to say is that I think that both of these picks works really well for me. I will most make each and see what sells. Thank you all for your crits and suggestions.

Best,

Archiphile