I Forge Iron

Hello from Australia

WildSpirit

Hi everyone, I just found this site and I really like it. I have to say I have never seen another forum like it anywhere. I have been reading a few posts, and I've noticed that you all seem to be boys! So, sorry to crash your party guys, I'm a girl, and I don't think I'll be going anywhere for the time being.
At the moment I'm not doing any forge work, only working with wire, however I want to start when I can get the gear. I like working with celtic designs, and shoeing horses is intersting me at the moment.
I just want to add, that the axes are really pretty.

Now hold on a bit, I think if you look around you will find several girls on here. No reason in the world you have to/need to be a guy to be a blacksmith. I recently had the opportunity to watch a 2 day demo given by Allison Finn of Freedom Metals. She did an EXCELLENT job and was an excellent teacher!

You are most welcome to this site please jump right on in. Remember blacksmithing is as much about creativity and imagination as it is anything else. If you don't think you can hit as hard as some men, get a power hammer (they likely use one themselves) ;)

The reason most of us are boys is only because there are not yet enough girls to tip the ratio in their favor.

The female blacksmiths have a different artistic vision, creating more light and flowing work. There are several girls on IForgeIron, and I always enjoy seeing their creativity and projects. The gallery has plenty of space so post your work there. Copy the linked thumbnail URL and paste the URL into the forum to show the thumbnail in the text.

Ask any questions in the forum, and be prepared for a several different ways to solve the problem. Try them all, and one should work for you. Welcome to IForgeIron, enjoy your visit.

There is a lady who wrote a book on basic blacksmithing, whom I find to be a terrific individual, funny, beautiful and a really fine smith, her name is Lorelei and the book is the backyard blacksmith, i think that's the name of it. This is a very welcoming group, no matter what gender, I'd love to learn how to do a celtic knot in iron, be sure to post some of your projects, we loooooove to see other peoples work!

G'Day tdhau1

Welcome to the site , seems like theres a few more AUSSIES hangin' around out there ... :)

Don't forget to put your name to the http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f8/oz-roll-call-7380/index2.html

Where in the nth east of Victoria tdhau1 ?

Wesburn Victoria here ( about 75 km's nth east of Melbourne )

Dale Russell

My internet patchy, so I had to go searching for my post. I'm about to go to the Oz role call. I'm not the one who was at the expo, I haven't been to any expos although I hope to go to some in future. I do work with wire now although, my neighbour has a forge, so maybe if I ask him nicely he'll show me how to use it.
And its nice to know there are other girls out there:p