I Forge Iron

Howdy from Texas!

tgsmith1

Hello, just found this forum and decided to join, I've been blacksmithing off and on for the past 7 years, I demonstrated at an Agricultural museum in Boerne, Texas for over a year, introducing the wonders of blacksmithing to visitors. I decided I wanted something different in life and decided to go back to school and have just finished my BAS in social psychology. Now that I'm finished I have some free time and want to get back into blacksmithing again. I just became a member of the Balcones Forge here in the greater San Antonio, Tx area and I'm looking forward to meeting and learning from the members of this club. I started out in this fantastic hobby by taking a swordmaking class, what was suppose to be a 6 week course turned into about a 4 month course. The instructor was sitting on a goldmine but wasn't prepared for the response and so many never finished their blades. He also didn't teach us about hardening or tempering so I have a beautiful fantasy sword I made that will never be for anything other than looking at.
I've made several knives, and I've made damascus as well. I also turn out some steak turners and bbq forks that folks seem to like.
Anyways before I get too long winded, (especially on subjects I enjoy) I'll close with another hello and looking forward to chatting with the others on this forum. Tom

Welcome, Tom. I just joined Balcones Forge on Saturday too. I'm just a beginner. (Still putting finishing touches on my forge now). With a little luck. (And clear weather) I'll be firing it up this weekend.

This is a great site with ALOT of helpful folks and great information.

Mark G

Hey Mark, I see we're neighbors, and I probably saw you at the meeting on Sat., if you need a hand with the forge just let me know. I built my coal forge from scratch, 1/4" plate, I took the design from one that was at the Ag museum in Boerne but moved the coal bin to the left side of the forge since I'm left handed. I bought the firepot from centaur. Did you sign up for the classes in November? I think I signed up for the 13th.

Hollis, the hammer demo was very impressive...one solid thump and the metal was bent, I was talking with a friend of mine and we both would love to try making a damascus billet with it, talk about a perfect weld. There were quite a few people taking pictures, so I'm sure some will be floating around.

Edited by tgsmith1
add comment.

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Most of my family live in the S.A. area and I grew up in central TEXAS. (Goldthwaite) You have found THE site for anything metalworking. Look forward to seeing some of your work from time to time. If you ever get up in the Longview area give me a call...my shop is always open and I'll get a fire going, if ones not already burning that is.