I Forge Iron

Is this an iron plate making tool?

This looks like it may be some kind of branding plate maker, or maybe not. If anyone knows what this item was used for, I’d love to find out.

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

image.png

Welcome aboard Den, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with members within visiting distance. 

Branding plate? Do you mean like a label or data badge? I think that is highly unlikely, the body is looks to be intended to hold a liquid, That appears to be a level or fill plug and if it were to stamp labels, etc. it wouldn't need the big reservoir or body in general. It would probably have a vertical press and compound lever if it were for stamping labels, tags, badges, etc. 

IVI isn't a Roman Numeral. 

You might try one of the vintage tools or machinery sites. I'll be interested in what you find out.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

I agree with Frosty about adding your general location.  This is a world wide forum and we don't know if you are in Kansas, Lapland, or Tierra del Fuego.

I can't say what the artifact/machine is but I can try to deduce its function a bit.  The round part is clearly designed to hold some sort of liquid.  As Frosty points our there is a filling port with a threaded, square head.  It is designed to rotate on the axle between the upright, locked position and the lower position shown in the first photo.  What is puzzling to me is that whatever liquid is in it would not fully pour out in the lowered position, only down to the level of the bottom of the rectangular hole.  Maybe in use it was mounted in a different position than the upright one it is in now.  The heavy collar to hold it in a closed position indicates to me that it was designed to remain in that position securely.

Other than that I can't imagine more.  I hope that you find someone who recognizes it.  If you find out please post the result here.  I would like my curiosity itch scratched.

GNM

I have been looking at this for some time.  Are there no other markings?  Where did you get it?  Location could be a clue you know.  I see some crust in the "closing plate".  The arm that clamps it looks like it has a boss for a lever of some kind but I am not sure.  I wonder what the purpose of the key looking hole in the casting is for.  These things drive me nuts.

I am located in southeast Ohio. A friend has this item and asked me to help in trying to identify it. I’ll try to find out if there are any other markings on it.

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

It is an interesting piece for sure, I have no idea what it is intended to do. To me it looks like it is part of another larger machine and hold some sort of liquid.

We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to add a general location in your profile.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

On 4/29/2024 at 7:20 PM, DenM said:

I’ll try to find out if there are any other markings on it.

Thanks.  I wasn't trying to prod you, but I like puzzeling things.  This ones good, and I suppose Irondragon has it right, but you never know.