I Forge Iron

Randy, interesting article but I question if penannular brooches developed from torcs since the earliest ones are about of the same age.

Also, it seems that some of them were not intended for wear around the neck.  For examples, several of the ones illustrated in the article such as the Lochar Moss and the Trictingen examples do not appear the be able to have their openings opened wide enough for a neck.  Some of the others appear to be "springy" enough to open far enough for a neck and the gold ones are probably soft enough to bend open and shut.

The iron examples I have seen are rusted enough that any decoration is lost.

GNM

First I want to thank you for opening another rabbit warren George, it's a good way to take up all the free time I have after losing myself watching Dr. James Dilley's flint knapping videos! A teaser in return.:P  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFvMyGiAA7M

On a more serious note, it is an excellent article and provides plenty of stuff to look up. I do SO love a good rabbit hole. No fooling, I do. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

This rabbit hole was actually opened by Randy/Irondragon.  I was just the first one down it after he posted the link.

Enjoyed the Dilley video on Soultrean points.  It's obvious that he has knapped once or twice before. ;-)  I would like to hear his take on what seems to be his interpretation of Paleolithic dress.  His leather appears to have been tanned and hs hat implies, spinning and some sort of knitting or nalbinding.

I'd like to see him do some Folsom or Clovis points with the long central flake.

One thing that I am thankful for is how the internet has opened up information like this.  Unfortunately, that has come along with a number of negative things.  An old friend once described the internet as being like a city, there are commercial areas, recreation areas, and seedy and dangerous areas where you don't want your kids frequenting.

Thanks.

G

Your post was the first one I opened so I'm blaming you! For a darned good bit of enjoyable reading and searching that is. It keeps me off the streets. 

How many of his videos have you watched? "Ancientcraft UK" hosts I don't know how many, he's one of their main people. His primary interest is in pre-iron age Briton though he has studied in Europe. He only mentions clovis points briefly and almost mocks the idea they are the result of the culture crossing the Atlantic. 

I believe the anachronistic costume is part of staging for a program though I don't know what it adds. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a superior's "good" idea. When he's in lecture mode about what he's doing I listen closely but if he drifts into modern cultural I only watch. He has video about collecting, smelting and casting copper, making and casting bronze and some I haven't watched about iron smelting and working.

I'm only watching the free videos and probably missing the really good stuff or maybe just this year's videos. 

Frosty The Lucky.