I Forge Iron

New at silver soldering, torch problems, HELP!!

Could someone please help me solve a problem I am struggling with?

I'm self-taught at soldering silver (jump rings, handmade findings, etc., for jewelry) and purchased, about a year ago, the Meco Midget torch kit with regulators and hoses, from OttoFrei.com (product #114.080). It seems too crude for my current level of use--the adjustments too crude, the regulators too wide-ranging in pressures, that sort of thing--but even that's not my main problem.

Lately, when I fire up my torch, it seems to be normal when I turn on the propane. When I add the oxygen to the mix, no matter how the flame is adjusted (and no matter what the amount of propane, either), I'm getting a slow, rhythmic pulsing to the flame, slightly less than once per second, rendering the flame useless to me. My tanks are full. I'm using the regulators to show 1-2 lbs of pressure (hard to read on those dials, but I've tried it up to 3 lbs, too).

My partner is a metal fabricator and experienced with torches in general, but has no clue, and I have no other jewelers in my rural area to ask. I haven't been able to find a website for Meco, and Otto Frei doesn't seem to have anything in their tech tips and such about torches and issues. I'm desperate for help!!! I would be SO very grateful if anyone could point me in SOME direction, either what's wrong or where to look for answers!

Just looked at the torches you linked to and they don't look to bad. Did these torches work fine before? Or are these torches new to you. It sounds like your mixture pressures are off or not being mixed right, that is if the torches are new to you. If they were working fine and are now doing this then it sounds like you may have a bad O ring or regulator diaphragm, either of these would allow air to pre-mix with your gases or give you unstable pressure at the tip.

Edited by Dave M

My bernzomatic mapp/oxy did that when I ran out of mapp gas and attempted to use propane. It runs perfect with a bottle of mapp, but for some reason the propane misbehaved horribly. I finally gave up and got some more mapp gas. I heard somewhere that with propane, its difficult to get a consistant flame until the torch is heated up a bit. I've never seen this myself though. I think it was on Lionel Oliver's site. I'll post a link if I find it.
Mickey

Open the O2 valve on the tank all the way open. Adjust the O2 setting on the regulator with the torch valve open. Close the torch valve and note if the needle moved up on the regulator. If it did, continue to set the regulator at that setting and go forth and solder.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on television, but I have encountered some odd regulators in the past, and the above instructions was my solution to consistently set accurate low pressures on torches. I also rap the dial with my knuckle and notice if it changes.

TrollHammer that is a nice link however I don't think it will help with the set up that is in question. If the regulators are not working properly they may need to return them to the dealer. Otto Frie is a good company and will work with you if the product is faulty. Now if they don't have the tanks open all the way you may get fluttering of the flame. On my rig for jewelry I open the bottles at least one full turn. When running my forge I open the bottle all the way and then back off a tad. If you still have a bad flame check the orifice at the tip. Don't cost nothing.:cool:

Bentiron, Yeah, after finding it and rereading it, I saw that it wasn't really applicable. I seemed to remember it saying more about dealing with difficulties using an oxy/propane rig. I'm still looking for the site, cuz I'm not so sure that's the right one. I'm gonna try my rig again, after cleaning the tip and all. And adjusting the regulators appropriately. I'm thinking now, after reading this thread, that my problems were operator error, not the bottle of propane. Much to my dismay, I sometimes find myself blaming the tool rather than myself for poor operation. I'll give it a try again this afternoon hopefully.
Mickey

• 1 month later...