I Forge Iron

Hosting meetings

I need some advice. I host our local monthly chapter meetings for our group, we lost our meeting spot so I volunteered my pole barn, and we built 5 forges and a real nice venting system. (pic attached) Questions have been asked of me, if we burn the barn down, will it be covered etc. How about injuries? We sign a sheet like I'm sure most of you do, but I am starting to think some additional coverage might not be a bad idea. Do any of you have your groups pay for additional coverage? I don't get charged meeting fees, and I don't charge the group for utilities or any of that. I want to do what's right, but also want to protect my family, any ideas?

There is such a thing as an umbrella policy that covers you for liability as you volunteer for non-profit organizations as well as other situations.
I think I pay a little over $100 a year for mine.
Talk to your insurance agent.
I am a member of the California Blacksmiths Assn.
A few years ago we had a good look at our liability insurance. It seems to cover everyone EXCEPT the members. That is, if I hit a chisel and it ricocheted over the fence and killed the neighbors dog, the dog is covered. But if the same chisel hit a CBA member - the member was not covered as we are all named under the policy.
We, the CBA, had to go out and get accident insurance to cover our instructional workshops. At the time it was a little over $2.50 per person per year.
I hope this helps.

I had to host this kind of a meeting twice..and i was never coverd so all the risk was on me. I was never coverd because was not able to find this service where i live and i did it to meet other people related to this craft. I have to admit that i... every time i charged for the iron that was used ...at regular iron price not a resaler price.But i shure wish i coud get coverd because at one of the meeting a rotary wire brush started to fly around the shop. It did not hit anybody thow ! Wish u best of luck