I Forge Iron

Bought my first anvil

Hello,

i just bought my first anvil, it have beautiful rebound, but very deep scratches on surface, what do you guys think, should i'll try to grind it or leave it this way? I will using it for bladesmithing and historical replicas (fire strikers, small axes, chest hinges etc.).

Also can anyone tell me something about this anvil? I find online, that these shapes of anvil are south german or austrian origin and can be even from XIX century?

img_20240302_110446.jpg

img_20240302_110454.jpg

img_20240302_110627.jpg

Hello!

First of all: Don't grind! If at all, I'd take a bit of sandpaper to the cuts to soften any sharper corners of the indents.

What you have here is an anvil that comes closest to the so called "sächsische Form" (Saxony referring to the geographical region more than the present federal state), with double feet and a breast that doesn't have the smooth transition into the horn as for example the Southgerman or Bavarian patterns have. Those patterns don't mean anything concerning the region this anvil was actually manufactured in though.

It can very well date back into the 19th century and probably does. It is a nice piece, have fun with it! :)

Cheers!

Julian

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance. 

Nice anvil, what does it weigh? I don't see any serious face damage, it should smooth out with hammering hot iron / steel on it. Grinding is a last resort measure and that old beauty is far from it's last resort.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard from 7500 feet (2285 meters) above sea level in SE Wyoming, USA.  Glad to have you.

Please do NOT grind on the face.  You will do more damage than any improvement would justify.  Yes, some fool has used chisels on the face without a protective plate under the work but the damage is not serious enough it interfere with normal work.  I'd be happy to have it in my shop just as it is.  If taken care of your grandchildren's grandchildren could be still using it.

What part of Poland are you in? Some of my ancestors came from the area of Poznan in western Poland (one of those areas which has been either Polish or German depending on whose army most recently passed by).

"By hammer and hand alla rts do stand."

8 hours ago, George N. M. said:

What part of Poland are you in? Some of my ancestors came from the area of Poznan in western Poland (one of those areas which has been either Polish or German depending on whose army most recently passed by).

im from western Poland also, about 100km from Poznan, before World War 2, these lands was German, so maybe that reason, why there are a lot of german origin antique stuff

Absolutely correct, but keep in mind that this FWDS catalogue is very crudely translated. Look at No. 46 for example, the word "Stauch" (upsetting block) is translated with "compression", which doesn't make any sense in this context, although "stauchen" means "to compress" in German.

It was possible to order an anvil in almost any weight you wanted. The price differed according to the weight and if you'd want a pattern with distinct features like double-feet, a breast, upsetting block, etc. Some manufacturers, FWDS for example, offered such features only on anvils above 100kg. Which is most probably not a strict rule, if you paid for it, it wasn't impossible to do that. You could also order a pattern with an additional feature, that normally wouldn't be included, for example add double- or even triple- feet.

As for your anvil, it is almost impossible to determine the maker, if there's no visible markings left. It could've been produced by anyone.