I Forge Iron

Need help with anvil identification

Welcome aboard Dents, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance. Perhaps someone can lay eyes on it and see what doesn't show in the pics.

How long have you had it?

Are there no markings on the sides of the body?

Without more clues I'd have to guess and this IS a guess. It LOOKS cast iron from here, the upside down 1114, cast proud on the foot is pretty much proof conclusive it is cast. AND unless it's really old the wear on it says it is NOT steel.

That leads me to say it's cast iron and probably pretty low quality, certainly not malleable cast iron. 

I'm not familiar with the pattern, it has no step/table, the horn is pretty darned blunt. 

Considering what I can see I'd have to say it's cheap Chinese or other low quality make.

That said, I'm not one of the real anvil GURUs on the site and will be more than happy to discover I'm wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

In the first picture, it looks to me someone has welded a steel plate to the side from just back of the horn to the heel. It looks like a weld along the bottom where the plate meets the lower part above the feet. I'm thinking it's an old Vulcan that the hardened steel face plate became detached or ground away leaving the cast iron base to be worked hard causing the rather bad swale. That would explain the lack of a step at the front of the plate & rear of the horn also.

It would also help to know where in the world you are located.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Definitely cast iron, maybe had a steel plate at one point. So, best guess is a Vulcan or Southern Crescent, although that doesn't look like a Southern Crescent's feet. I'd bet on Vulcan, but with that plate on the side you can't even look for the logo. Poor thing has been rode hard and put up wet either way. I'd consider giving that one a warm and quiet place to nap.