I Forge Iron

Bêche 100kg.... to be rescued !

Hi folks... 

I'm in Mexico for the winter... and not too far from where i'm at there is a Bêche 100kg hammer for sale.  As things goes here... i'd much prefer to see it go to a good smitty than being ultimately sold for scrap !!   What do you think.....   (?)

Bêche 1.png

Bêche 2.png

Bêche 3.png

IMO, any tool, from a hand hammer on up, should be rescued from scrapping.  However, things like condition, cost, and logistics of transportation, and ability to install and use back home enter into the equation.  That is a sizeable tool and you would need a truck or trailer to move it and because there is an international border involved it is not as easy as renting something from U-Haul.  And I think the first thing I would look at is how much work would be required to get it running and how available are the necessary parts.

Good luck and I hope you can get it back home and into use but I also understand that it might not work out.  I had a similar problem with an anvil in France years ago and I just had to wipe my eyes and move on.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

It'd be a sweet piece of equipment but if you're thinking of taking it home to Ontario you need to see what it'll cost to get it across two national borders, Canada being the most finicky. 2nd. will be shipping, then repair. Unfortunately Bob Bergman retired a few years ago or he would've been able to sell parts and basically everything you needed. Still they aren't some sort of top secret device. Purchase price is probably a little above scrap in Mexico so the least expense you'd be looking at.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was probably imprecise in my communication; this is not for me, as i already have my hands very full !  I thought that it might interest somebody else, not afraid of a "challenge" !!  I don't think it would be that difficult to put it in a container in the nearby port of Veracruz and ship it.... this is done very often by Europeans, as by USA folks who buy older cars here for restoration.  All depends on how one values what he finds...   I'd be willing to be a link between the seller and the buyer... just to see this machine working again as it was intended !

Also closeby these friction presses showed up....;

friction press 1.png

friction press 2.png

friction press 3.png

Nah, I got involved in thinking about shipping that beauty. I live in Alaska and shipping often more than doubles the price of . . . stuff. You're probably right, containerizing or palletizing it and just contracting with a shipper would probably be best. Let someone else deal with borders and paperwork, they do it all the time.

I don't know what I'd do with presses that size but one would sure look good in the shop. Kind of out there for a decorative accent though. :rolleyes:

It'd sure be nice to live within a reasonable distance of an industrial surplus place like that one. I'd LOVE to come across a Beche that size I could afford. 

Frosty The Lucky.