I Forge Iron

Hey from SWMO

Hello from SW Missouri!

Retired and decided to do a few things I've always wanted to; learn to weld, and learn to make knives and work metal. Got a used welder and took a night class at the local high school VoTech. Can make a respectable MIG weld, starting to make a TIG weld that is okay. Stick, well . . . 6011 it kind of looks like a weld. 7018, we won't talk about that! 

Plan was to cut, grind/file some knives from bar. Wasn't really planning on smithing a knife but as I researched heat treating I realized I'd be buying/building a small forge. Then I went down the rabbit hole of watching YouTube vids. After seeing a few guys make blacksmith knives I started thinking heck, I should get a small anvil too! Got a 66lb Vevor and a hammer and set of tongs for Christmas and here I am. This is just for fun and to keep me busy. Something I've always wanted to do and figured it's now or never. If I can get good enough to make knives, bottle openers, and hooks that friends and family will accept for free, then my goal will have been attained. Lots of good info here. I plan to learn much as I start playing.

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

Sit down of an evening with the decks cleard and the adult beverage of your choice and start going through the various threads and topics on IFI.  Some of them wander of down interesting rabbit holes.

There are some good blacksmithing videos on You Tube.  (And some REALLY bad ones.)  I like Black Bear Forge, JPLservices (our own Jennifer), and Torbjorn Ahman from Sweden.  Some folk like Alec Steele but I find his manner of presentation kind of annoying but that may just be me.

There are also some good books around which have some advantages over videos.  If you want recommendations please say so.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Yeah, e 6011 is called "farmer's rod" for a reason, it's an aggressive penetrating rod that can cut through crud. Paint, rust, grease, wet, etc. that normally contaminate welds has much less effect on 6011. It's also a fast freeze rod so it is excellent for filling holes, running vertical uphill, overhead, heck anywhere. Just do NOT expect a smooth pretty bead, it's fast freeze and every weave you make with the rod will show plainly. 

One of it's other features is it's easy to run for newcomers to the craft. I think most folk started out running 6011.

7018 requires more and better technique to make good welds but it runs smoothly and freezes more gradually so you get gently rounded and relatively smooth beads and it's a LOT stronger and more flexible than 6011. However, forget welding dirty joints, it only has LITTLE tolerance for paint, oil, paint, etc. though it can take a LITTLE wet. 

Sorry, I can get going on stuff and the secret of being a welder is practice, a little knowledge and lots of practice. Burn the 6011 until you can lay it where you want without having to TRY. 7018 and other LowHi rods follow the same general rules but become easier quickly. Again practice is your friend. I place the lower practice level at 50lb. can of burnt rod. Less for 6011 but the 50lb level is good. It's awesome rod but you have to know how it dances to get what it's worth from in.

Rabbit warren is a good description of metal working, Humans learn more almost daily than a boy can learn in a lifetime but if you like the learning curve it's a perfect place for the climber. 

Smithing especially embodies so much of the human spirit it's a gift. We take humanities two oldest tools, fire and something to bash with and on, and use it to have our way with the human icon of strength and durability, iron / steel and have our way with it. How can it do anything but sing to our spirits?

It REQUIRES us to play with fire and hit things with hammers, it's hot, loud, dirty, dangerous and we get to se the fruits of our efforts as we play. What could be better and legal at the same time? Sure there are things higher on the scale but it's way up there. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys! Well said Frosty. Really anytime I’m creating something it makes me feel exhilarated and satisfied. I also usually find myself strategizing on how to make it better next time. I expect no less from this venture. Hell, I couldn’t even get an arc started on 7018 without sticking the rod! :lol:

I’ve been watching Black Bear more my speed for sure. Alec is very talented but a little too energetic for me. Though I’d love to support him and buy some of his stuff. Unfortunately, most of it is out of stock.

George, as you suggested, I’ll be sipping a bourbon and diving into IFI and absorbing it all and I’m sure asking questions along the way. 

Cheers!

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

Hope you have just as good a time beating on hot steel as I do. It helps me relax after a trying day and troubles just seem to melt away. Although my PTSD is not as bad as a lot of folks, it does raise it's ugly head now and then.

Hope you and yours have a Happy and safe New year.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus