I Forge Iron

Burner questions - not Ribbon burner

RichardF

I could not find a category where my question really fit, but this seemed like the closest fit.  I would be happy to repost this anywhere else that folks think fits better.  

I have built a Frosty type burner from plumbing parts, a 1.25 by 1.25 by 3/4" Tee, a nipple, and an coupling.   It would not stay lit, at almost any pressure.  I tried to contact Frosty directly here and on Facebook, but no response after several days.

One of the photos is of a set of three burners that I bought off Amazon.  One of them did not work well, so they replaced it.   These seem to work OK, unless I crank up the pressure too high.

My goal is to build a brazing furnace, so I can braze the top of my copper cowboy hat to the brim.  Shrinkage has been a huge problem, but thinking that using a furnace would produce uniform heating.

One of the photos show the set of three burners I bought on Amazon.  One of them did not work well, so he replaced it.  They seem to work OK, but blow out of the pressure is too high.

image.jpeg.52c0a5c97245b7f8d42133ea9dc4de80.jpeg

image.jpeg.fb94208dba151d52169c652dc46346cb.jpeg

IMG_6788.JPG.216f412cbc97a544a860f678e74e6ad3.JPG

UPLOADED IMAGES

image.jpeg

91 kb · Done

image.jpeg.beda371ce4a809bba2fa4669d9330ff2.jpeg

Frosty's burner was designed to be used in a forge.  Those burners in the first pic do not appear to me to be built exactly as Frosty specified.  Using a reducer fitting for flame retention is usually better than nothing, but it is not ideal. 

A lot of naturally aspirated burners will blow the flame off the end of the mixing tube at moderate to high pressure even inside a forge or furnace until the chamber is heated to the point where it glows.  Usually you can turn them up as high as you care to at that point.

There you are Richard! Welcome aboard buddy, long time no talk. 

Do you know what size mig tip they used for the gas jet? Typically guys will use too small a jet and put it way too close to the throat. (The narrowest point where the mixing tube meets the T) Too small a jet means it requires too high psi to put enough fuel in the forge to get heat unfortunately with the jet close to the throat it doesn't induce enough combustion air so the flame velocity is too high to stay on the end of the burner. This is why you see so many T burners with swing type choke plates. 

Okay a couple observations until you supply some details like jet size (mig tip diameter). Are all the pics of the T and jet the same burner? If so there appears to be a misalignment of the jet. 

Some pics of them burning would be helpful, especially of the one you pictured above.

I don't see anything fundamentally wrong in the pics, nothing that can't be adjusted out. . . So far.;)

Frosty The Lucky.