I Forge Iron

The drum forge

tanglediver

Someone here asked me today after my afternoon session, "What, are you a blacksmith now?" Well, no. I am not, and I said as much.0LZ7xuC.jpg

The ever-so-humble drum forge, my first.

Long story made as short as possible, after finding an identical blower (finally), I whipped up a cheezy stand "for testing purposes". It operates, I can heat metal, and I call that "a start".

Might I make a suggestion, pack some clay around the fire grate to make a ducks nest fire pot, which will save on using so much fuel and give you a hotter fire by concentrating the air blast.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

It's a good start. If you've got wood, it's not terribly hard to make lump charcoal if you have a 55 gallon drum and a place you can make fire without the neighbors freaking out. You may also find that you prefer a brake disc, or if you are going to eventually be using charcoal (coal being a bit tricky in California), the JABOD forge (just a box of dirt). Welcome, and best of luck.

That's a very nice start you have there!  Lump charcoal, not briquette's works really well, you just have to use a small watering can to keep the fire from spreading too fast.

Rather than claying the bottom, I found a couple of firebricks with the corners cut off, so they fit the round drum, goes a long way towards having the fire deep enough. a brick on each side of the drum with a deep trough between them. Masonry disks in an angle grinder make short work of it.  my first forge pic attached.

SSCN0618.JPG