I Forge Iron

Crab Knife recent work

This is a crab knife/mallet that I made for the trade item for Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland. Our trade item this month is something to eat steamed blue crabs with, a crab cracker, crab knife or mallet.

Railroad spikes can be a most versitile shape when making rather unique items. The seafood knife on one end and then bend the top of the spike over in order to make the mallet made for a very comfortable shape. Since seafood knive are not sharpened, that area isn't dangerous as part of the handle. It was then coated in vegetable oil and set in the oven at 425 for 2 hours.

We had a trade Item on a bbq tool and someone had made a spatula that he had place in the oven and cooked with no type of oil, just the heat from the oven. He said it has been used many time and washed in the dishwasher and has never rusted. The metal was file finished mild steel.

Anybody ever heard of cooking it in the oven and metal not eventually rusting?

8544.attach

Actually CG, I used spray Pam and lightly wiped it off. I put it in the Oven a 425 degrees for about an hour and a half. It ended up being in there for over 2 hours because I went to the shop and got busy.

We did the trade item at our meeting today (Sunday Sept 28) and the funny thing was the crab eating tool that I got was Longhunter's who I'm training at my forge in Union Mills. We made it Yesterday (Saturday Sept. 27) at Union Mills.

He did a good job on it. But as his (Tor)mentor, I graciously told him it was ugly. He knew I was kidding. He's been doing really great.