I Forge Iron

Pewter casting

I'm trying to cast small pewter medallians with detail similar to a state seal; an image with lettering around. I've tried rtv molds but they provide no detail, maybe a gas venting problem? Also tried sand mold which was a bit more successful but left a grainey texture and some detail loss.
I have no high temp facilities at this time so I'm limited to low temp alloys.
Any suggestions or comments on how to accomplish this project?
Thanks,

Try using plaster. Be sure that the mold is totally dry . I stick mine in the oven at 350 or so depending on how humid it is. Leave them right there until you are ready to pour. Warm molds make for better detail.
Finnr

Edited by Finnr
spelling

I'm trying to cast small pewter medallians with detail similar to a state seal; an image with lettering around. I've tried rtv molds but they provide no detail, maybe a gas venting problem? Also tried sand mold which was a bit more successful but left a grainey texture and some detail loss.
I have no high temp facilities at this time so I'm limited to low temp alloys.
Any suggestions or comments on how to accomplish this project?
Thanks,

Welcome to IForgeIron!

While doing a little online research I noticed you posted the exact same question on numerous forums, but I saw few if any replies.

May I suggest you consider your pewter casting needs using the cuddle bone casting technique. Cuddle bone can be easily found at any pet store, is quite inexpensive, carves easily with simple tools, etc. End results of finished castings can be awesome with high detail quality. The cuddle bone casting method is used by many jewelry makers. Pewter, silver, sterling silver, gold, etc. can be poured/cast using the same technique.

• 2 weeks later...
IMG_0996.JPG
It turned out I was not able to go to the meeting, I had a scheduled demonstration at the MS Craftsmens Guild, but I got my wife to go and she took pictures and some notes. I had to put them in my gallery I got an error in the events gallery. He did at least one with pewter but mainly used lead to show the process. There are a lot more pictures. Key word is pewter casting.