I Forge Iron

Gassers: 40LB tanks

Ive been told that the 40 pound tanks do better at not icing up on you..I know you can set the smaller ones in water but I dont really want to drive out and exchange them so often either..My 20 pound tank starts developing ice after only a couple hours into each use..Will the 40 pounder do better? Thanks

I go to the propane distributor in town. Because I have an account with them... I get propane delivered for home heating... there is no deposit for tanks. I pay the cost of the propane only and when a tank empties, take it back to swap out for a full one. A 100 lb tank of propane is $65 - $75 depending on current price. I don't pay for tanks, just the gas. Even if there is a deposit, it's less than what you're saying they cost you.

Edited by rthibeau
added last line

I use 40LB tanks and don't have a problem with ice. Around here, any tank 100LBs or less, must be carried in for refill. I am too old to wrestle a 100LB tank. Over the years, I have acquired three 40LB tanks. When I connect the last tank, I take the other two in for refill. Cost of refill was $26 each last month.

If you're using propane for home heat and have a large tank in the yard, would it be possible to hard pipe it to your forge? My shop has a LPG furnace with a big tank in the yard. I've been considering running a line to my regulator, and then using a 12ft hose from there to the burner. I'm assuming that you won't have the same issues with natural gas(incoming pressure being too low) that you would using the same tank as your furnace. Can anyone correct me on this?
Mickey

Well I went ahead and bought a 40 pounder...I could have gotten a 100# for about $35 more but I have some problems with my back so I decided not to lug a 100# tank in and out of my four wheel drive.. I still use a coal forge often so a 40 pounder should last me a good while..

Edited by KYBOY