I Forge Iron

Wood carving tools

ironrosefarms

In the process of looking at doing some silver wire inlay on some wood Silver inlay thread I would like to make the tools for the job. Since the inlay project I have in mind will have some very tight scrolls, I need to make some gouges and chisels to make these lines smoothly to get the desired effect.

Thus far the closest thing I have made to a blade is a spear and it required no heat treatment due to it's intended use.

So this brings me to ask the blade smiths
1 what steels should I be considering for wood carving chisels and gouges?
2 with the steel that you suggest, best heat treating methods?
3 what have I forgotten to ask and what is the answer?;)

Thanks
James

often small tools of a spring persuasion would be tempered in either lead or sheep tallow. heat the medium, insert the piece, cook it and cool it. Now, that is for springs, not what you asked about, but I'm sure a similar process would be adequate. Making gravers
perhaps you can use this if you can find graver blanks. I know that some ameture locksmiths use brick strapping for their tools, although this may prove too thin.

I found a tutorial on making carving tools with hack saw blades or clock spring that I found to be pretty good.
Scroll carving tools from hacksaw blades

The guy uses a propane torch for all his heating but goes through making a jig for different gouges, normalizing, hardening, and heat treating. Even how he makes his handles

I'll have to see what I have laying around in the way of blades that I can test this with...

James

Edited by ironrosefarms