I Forge Iron

Mousehole repair

Hello all,

For starters, this would not be my first anvil or only anvil. I am also aware of the different schools of thought pertaining to repairing anvils via welding. 

It is for sale local to me and I’ve thought about picking it up specifically to have a go at repairing one. I’d like to gauge the forum’s opinion.

The heel is the most pressing concern, but i would also want to address the sway. I prefer to work on a flat face. I’ve read up (briefly) on Rob Gunters anvil repair process. I’m wondering if this is a good candidate? How would you address the sway? For me, not being able to address it would be a deal breaker. 

thanks!!

IMG_1637.png

IMG_1638.png

OK, here are a couple of my thoughts:  First, I don't think that it is bad enough shape to need repair.  The edges are pretty good and the missing face plate on the heel is only 10% of the area of the face and can be worked around.  Second, it may be the small format photo but I don't see much sway on the face.  Or, not enough that I would want to worry about it.  A little sway on part of the face can be an advantage in some situations.  Third, if you want to repair an anvil just to have repared an anvil you can go ahead with the time it takes and the materials.  The appropriate rods are fairly expensive but you wont need that many.  Fourth, yes, you can build up material where the area of the face plate is missing and a bit in the sway area and then grind the beads flush with the face plate.  However, IMO, the investment of time and money will not improve this anvil enough to justify the project.  Fifth and final, You need to be an accomplished welder to do this correctly.  If you are just a hobby welder you need to find one and pay him or her to do it properly.  Working on a hot, preheated anvil is not a common project.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I have to agree with George. I think trying to repair the small problems would cause more harm than good. I enlarged the pictures and the sway does not appear to extend the total width of the sweet spot. Maybe a picture with a straight edge front to back would show it better. I have about an eighth of an inch sway on the Hay Budden and it helps when straightening a knife blank I have forged out, by eliminating any spring back in the stock.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus