I Forge Iron

Value of a Peter Wright anvil

Dear Joelle,  welcome aboard from 7500 feet in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

You do not say where you are in the world.  This is a woeld wide forum and we don't know if you are in Lapland, Tasmania, or Idaho.  This will have a significant bearing on the value of your anvil.  Anvils are more dear in some places and less expensive in others.

You have a Peter Wright anvil which is a pretty good quality brand which was made in England.  It weighed about 129 pounds when manufactured.  The numbers on the side show that it weighed 1 hundredweight (112 pounds) plus 0 quarter hundredweights plus 17 pounds.  It is in semi-decent condition with some chipping on the edge.  Assuming that it passes the ring and rebound tests (It should have a uniform ring across the face when tapped with a hammer and if a ball bearing is dropped on the face it should bounce back up at least 70%+ of the height from shich it was dropped.) it is a pretty good size anvil for a one person shop.

I would say that here in the westerh US an anvil like this would probably run anywhere from $3-5.00 per pound.  If I were selling ity I would ask around $350-400.

Are you sure that you don't want to keep it and learn blacksmithing?  It's a fun craft and hobby.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to add it in your profile. I can't anything over what George N.M. said he about nailed it.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus