I Forge Iron

Anybody know these markings?

Greetings, my fellow metal heads!

I aqquired this awesome stake anvil and I could swear I've seen these matings before, just can't remember where..It's a letter "T" and what remains of a 'fleur de lis' on a cross with 3 letters in it. Hopefully there is somebody out there who recognises them. Thank you!

Kind regards,

Michael.

20231029_180350.jpg

20231030_202310.jpg

20231030_202617.jpg

There really should be a touchmark registry somewhere. Would that be possible?  An IFI thread just 1 pic of it with a name and city state?  Just a thought.  Would be neat for future IFIers or anyone for that matter to look that up.

I think a touchmark registry or library has been suggested but there was a complication IIRC so it never happened. Maybe just nobody willing to put one together or maybe it was a copyright thing. It's been a couple years I think.

I'll vote for one though.

Frosty The Lucky.

IIRC the Anvilfire site had a registry at one time.  To get wider participation and to keep it properly archived it would be an ideal project for ABANA.  That said, it sure wouldn't hurt to have a page here.  If nothing else it would be good examples for new folk to look at and make sure that they didn't replicate something unintentionally.  I'd suggest an illustration, smith's name, forge name, location, date he or she started using it, and perhaps comments such as an explanation of why the particular touchmark design was selected, e.g. it is a visual pun on the smith's or forge's name or there is a special symbolism for the smith.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I was going to celebrate you volunteering but I don't want the job either soooooo. We can't link to the Anvilfire registry either.

However we CAN tell folks enough to find it in a web search. Just like I'd tell someone the name of the local plumbing supply here.  So, do we have a good name or description that'll allow an easy web search?

Frosty The Lucky.