I Forge Iron

Interesting Charcoal Tuyere documenented by Neil Ostberg

wirerabbit

I have continued my research on charcoal forges off and on after building my first forge about 3 years ago. My forge is a mashup of a JABOD, sideblast, viking trench, and maybe a Japanese forge. Who really knows? I am using it as a test bed for various ideas. You can check out my latest modifications as well as the earliest versions of my forge here.

While rooting around the internet, I came across this tasty nugget from an old page of Neil Osberg's. He documents an Ox shoe charcoal forge that has a very interesting tuyere. Unfortunately, Neil Ostberg passed away October of 2021, in West Bend, Wisconsin, so I can't go to the source. Does anyone have a name for this style of tuyere that might get me further along in my research. Neil's short description identifies it as a Spanish design used in North and South America since the discovery of the Americas. I'm sure many of you have books that might cover such a thing. Titles would be much appreciated. I'm sure I can find a copy to Inter Library Loan if I had a title, author etc.

Also, if any of you knew Neil or use one of Neil's replica tuyeres, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for everyone's help,

T