I Forge Iron

Newbie from s.c. here looking to start forging

artandsoul

Hi all total newbie here near sumter south carolina looking to get into the world of forging, welding, blacksmithing etc and looking to get it on very soon. I've been into wood working, painting, guitar repair, art, mr diy fix it all for many years and always wanted to get into forging and welding for years. 'Ive finally took the leap into getting into forging the past month and have been watching u tube videos forever and reading lots of content here on the site .I like to research everything to death before jumping in and there's some great content here on the site I've been diving into for a week now.

Just bought a mr volcano 2 for 85 on ebay last week figure its the same price as the singe burner so why not go dual burner and burn more money in propane lol. Also just got a century/lincoln 90 flux core welder for 50 bux brand new in box at a local auction hard to beat that price over the harbor freight flux core 125 when its 150 when on sale. 

I'm a total newbie to forging, welding, anything with hot metal but have had the itch for years. Yes i've seen all the forged in fires many times lol aka lets make a chopper out of trash usually and watched many u tube blacksmiths and knife makers for few years. I'm sure to ask tons of questions I cant readily find info on the site in search soon like today. Hopefully ill get some help here as the site seems like a good one thanks!

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

There are a lot of good blacksmithing videos out there and even more bad ones. The forum has a section with the good ones linked. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/44225-a-collection-of-blacksmithing-links-on-youtube/  in case you haven't run across it yet. I especially like jlpservices our own Jennifer            https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/54803-jlp-videos/                 Also Black Bear Forge         https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdOM6Qc53TcWuExrnDLVjXg                

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails.

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyomng.  Glad to have you.

Since you already have a forge the basics are an "anvil" to pound on, a hammer to pound, a "grabber" to hold hot things, and a vise to hold things.  I say "anvil" in quotes because it does not have to be a realio trulio anvil like what gets dropped on Wile E. Coyote.  It can be about any piece of steel large enough not to move around easily.  A section of railroad track set on end works well as do things like weights from earth moving equipment (bull dozers are basically made out of anvils).  Look at the improvised anvils threads.  You can use any old hammer but a cross peen or engineer's hammer is probably the most useful style.  I like about a 2 pound weight for general use.  For a "grabber" tongs are best beut you can also use things like vise grips or channel locks.  A machinist vise is OK but a post/leg vise works better for blacksmithing.

The real first step is getting steel hot and hitting it.  Don't get side tracked or delayed by gettting the "best" or "right" tools.

Besides the videos mentioned by Irondragon I like Torbjorn Ahman from Sweden and Christ Centered Ironworks.  Some folk like Alec Steele's videos but I find his presentation style kind of annoying (too hyper.  No caffine for that boy.).  Also, I'm kind of old school and think that actual printed books have advantages over videos.  If you want recommendations please say so.

I hope you find the craft as rewarding as I have.  I've been doing it since 1978 and it has helped me through rough times and made good times better.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome! Nothing much to add to the above, other than to say that if there are any other smiths or a smithing club in your area, you will learn a whole lot more from watching a smith in person and from having a more experienced smith watch and guide you than you ever will from either books or videos.