I Forge Iron

Help identifying my vise

Shane FC

Hello all. I have a vise I am cleaning up to put into use and I am hoping someone can help me identify the manufacturer. I picked the vise up in South Dakota. The owner said it had been in his family and passed down for a few generations. While cleaning it up, I came across some stamping. The screw box and the mounting plate both have the number 2 on them. The movable jaw has 45 stamped into it as well as some other stamps I can't quite make out. I assume the 45 is the weight and the number 2 represents the manufacturer's size in their lineup. Is this correct? For those of you familiar with the various vise manufacturer's, do you recognize  the additional stamps on the moveable jaw (attached pictures)? Any idea who the manufacturer may be?

I really appreciate any insight you all can provide. Thanks.

IMG_1181.jpg

2021-08-14 143928-4804122(1).jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1096 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1093 - Copy.jpg

OK, I believe I have answered my own question. I shaded in the writing and cleaned off the surrounding surface. It appears this is an Indian Chief vise by Columbus Forge and Iron Company. Some of the photos I have seen online have Indian Chief stamped on the top of the mounting plate as well. Mine does not. I am looking for more information on these vises. Can anyone hazard a guess as to age? My guess is early 1900's?

My big vise is an Indian Chief, it's not real big at 5 1/2" but it's bigger and more robust than my 4" Columbian. Good vise, it'll really take a beating.

How wide are the jaws on yours?

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't use it as often as the smaller vise, the screw is worn enough it doesn't want to move easily so I only use it for heavy hammering. It even has it's own bar grate table.

No telling on the age though, close to the turn of the last century is probably a good guess though.

Frosty The Lucky.