I Forge Iron

Howdy from Texas

I'm not a Blacksmith and never will be, but I've taken an interest in learning how to forge knives and some of my woodworking tools.  I can't find a bowl adze down here so I suppose I'll have to learn how to make one.  

I'll likely mostly read here but I do have some questions from time to time.  I hope you guys will indulge and old guy.  

Alan

Welcome aboard, Alan, from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

Actually, once you make something from hot steel you are a blacksmith.  You can stop then or you can spend the rest of your life becoming a better blacksmith.

You might look at The Complete Modern Blacksmith by Alexander Weygers.  He has a good section and excellent illustrations on forging wood carving tools.  Available on Amazon for $23.00.  HIs Making of Tools could also have value (available at Amazon for $13.47).

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. My wife made a nice hand adze and a small knife a while back and they came out quite nice. She has been blacksmithing and bladesmithing for about 5 years now.

100_1760.thumb.JPG.5949d45d689423825012166a752b6747.JPG

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus