I Forge Iron

Transparent Aluminium-sight window

Candidquality

Tranaparent Aluminium, aka ALON

I know this is a bit out of the normal balliwick for forging, but since I am thinking about using it as a sight window in a forge build, I have a question to pose to the peanut gallery.  

We always want to be able to see into our forges, but every opening is just another heat loss.  I am curious as to whether or not it would stand up, not only to the heat of the forge, but to the highly reactive atmosphere created from propane at those tempratures.  supposedly resistant to 3600f or so, but at what point does that just become a glowing mass, vs a viewport. 

Normally I would just experiment myself, but unfortunatly only have access to the one piece.  Was planning on using it for a Farnsworth Fusor build, but haven't finished gathering supplies for that one yet and I know it will work there.  

I know it is good for making a tank to Transport whales,  but that documentary was a bit light on details for heat resistance.  Found a few articles as well, but I'm not a chemist either.

One linked just to start a discussion point.  More of a focus on the visual aspects and ir transmission.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1350449598000073

If anyone has ideas or finds a better article I would appreciate the discussion.  

I looked at the Surmet site and they say it melts at 2150c so it shouldn't melt in your forge. It is very transparent to IR so you'd lose that section of the IR re-radiation properties of the liner. You wouldn't be able to do more than look in now and then without risking IR cataracts. 

Other than preventing cool air from flowing in I don't see much advantage over just looking in the door now and then.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty,

Was kinda thinking the same thing with more reading.   Can't ever seem to get something for nothing.  Tend to overthink things to death, before getting off the ground.  

Sounds like I need to stick to my original plan.  Have my son interested now after showing him how easy it is.  He learned to be an electrician in the Navy, so has a good grasp how to handle the high voltages safely.  

Wanted to get that visibility without air loss on the forge, but with the ir transmission,  Just have to play with some other options I guess.  

Unless it's electric it will have to vent exhaust gasses anyway. Fun to think about, the first thing I thought of when I saw transparent aluminum in the subject was synthetic sapphire, it might even be cheaper. No idea what it's IR transparency is though.

Frosty The Lucky.