I Forge Iron

First Damascus Blade

mzuzuz

Just out of a test etch with diluted acid. Layers of lawnmower blade and band saw blade. I am very happy with the weld for my forst attempt but I need more contrasting steel to get all the layers to show up better. Adding a bone handle today. If you look close you can see many layers.

Steve the longer etch was the ticket!! Just got ahead of myself and put the handle on too soon(arrggg!) I will try to drip a little acid on the area that was not submerged and see if I cannot even it up a bit. Either way I am glad to see the results of my heating and pounding. Need to do a little finish work and call this one good!
LongEtch.jpg
LongEtchii.jpg

8167.attach

8168.attach

Edited by mzuzuz
Updated

lawn mower blade, most likely 10XX series, my bet 1080.
band saw blade, most likely 15N20, It appears you have very few layers, but the ability for contrast is already there. The problem is the acid you used, or the time. I don't know as you stated neither. try a different acid, or same for longer soak.

I will soak it longer - Would it be better if I did not dilute it with water? There are a lot of layers but only the thicker(lawn mower blade I think) show up well. I think it is muratic acid but really do not know because it was just laying around my friends shop. I will ask him what it is? Here is the handle in process. Moose antler, plastic paint tray liners and welding rod pins. Pretty much a make shift first try.

8169.attach

8170.attach

8171.attach