I Forge Iron

Ditch Witch Tooth

civilwarblacksmith

I was given a ditch witch tooth and was wondering if anyone has ever made a knife from one.

It is extremely high carbon. I'm looking to find out how to harden and heat treat it if I get another one.

I started making one today at the Mason Dixon Steam show when the hurricane finally blew in and dropped the fly we were working in. Not sure if it was cooled enough before it got wet.

I've never made a knife from one, I do have a bucket tooth though from a payloader that I haven't done anything with yet...so I would be interested to see how it goes with your tooth.
Maybe just clean it up so you can check if it has any small cracks from rapid cooling from getting wet.
If it still looks OK I would continue.
But as for hardening and tempering, it may be somewhat tricky if you haven't done some testing with a sample first.
If you decide to finish forging the knife, try to get your hands on another of the same tooth so you can experiment with it without wrecking your blade.

You might try contacting Ditch Witch to see if you can find out what the steel alloy of their digging teeth is. Some quick research told me that the Charles Machine Works, Inc produce the teeth for Ditch Witch.
1959 West Fir Avenue Perry, Oklahoma 73077 U.S.A. Telephone: (580) 336-4402 Toll Free: (800) 654-6481 Fax: (580) 572-3527 Web site: Ditch Witch

Bucket teeth and anything that works in the dirt is usually made from a wear resistant CrMnMo alloy. I havent been able to pinpoint a specific alloy used in bucket teeth or digging teeth, but a lot of wear resistant steels are air hardening, there are a few that oil harden as well, but you probably have an air hardening steel. Hopefully someone will drop in who has worked around/with these things and knows the alloy or most common one used in these applications.

• 1 month later...