I Forge Iron

Identification Trexton Anvil

Just picked up this cool anvil - and I am looking for help with identification.  I have no Idea of age or value.  I just felt the history and had to have it.  For the weight all I can see is 14? and the serial number looks like 235068?  Both are hard to read - sorry.  Trexton label.  I have included pictures...  Thanks in advance for any help you can give. 

Base Bottom Picture.jpg

Brand Picture.jpg

Horn Picture.jpg

Side Picture.jpg

SS Number Picture.jpg

Top, Side Picture.jpg

Weight Picture.jpg

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

I can't help you on the age of the anvil but there are plenty of anvil geeks here who, I am sure, will be able to help.

It appears to be in good shape.  Have you done a rebound test on it yet?  If you don't know what that ism drop a ball bearing onto the face from 10" while hold a ruler beside the drop point.  See how high the bearing bounces.  90% is excellent.  75% is OK.  Anything less than 50% is a POS.  There can be very good looking anvils that have been through a structure fire and have had all the temper and rebound drawn from the too steel face.

Assuming a good rebound test I would guess a fair market value of about $4/pound but it could go higher if the buyer really wanted it or lower if you really wanted it gone.  There are a lot of variables in a sale and any estimate is just that, a rough estimate.  Arizona, like much of the western US is generally anvil poor because of fewer folk and later settlement.  There are a lot more anvils around per capita in the east where there were more smiths.  For example, if you were in eastern Oklahoma where Twisted Willow (Billy) hangs his hat you probably wouldn't be able to get more than about $2/pound.

Are you looking to start learning the blacksmith's craft?  If so, you have come to the right place.  We LOVE helping noobies getting started on their journey.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Looks like a Trenton in great condition. 

Also looks like one that is welded at the waist and should have a full tool steel upper half. (I have one and it is an excellent anvil.) 

Wire wheel it and coat it with your preservation preference, many are listed on here, and get to using it. 

Congrats, great find.