I Forge Iron

Best ways to free a stuck forging?

Necrolegion

Hello, just found this forum on the internet.

I work with closed die forgings and there is an issue we keep running into. Small titanium forgings getting stuck inside dies.

Unfortunately, due to corporate, we cannot use hammers to release the forgings. We can only use pry bars, and only if forgings are stuck on bottom half of die, or manipulators.

We use water-based lubricants to lubricate dies. Temperature of forgings are around 1400-1800°F (titanium) and 1900-2100°F for steels. All of our dies use 7° draft angles.

What methods can be used, given some of the limitations listed, to free forgings?

Appreciate the responses!

Welcome aboard. Most of us are blacksmiths working iron and steel with hand tools; those of us who do use power hammers and presses are using generally open dies. We'll see if anyone has any helpful suggestions, but I'd keep looking elsewhere.

What JHCC said. I would guess you are using the wrong lube. Seems that your in house engineers or their equivalent should have an answer. Also, check with the tech service of the company that manufactures your stock for solutions. Not the retail source( they may have an answer), but the actual manufacture.