I Forge Iron

Using only one burner of a double burner forge.

Brax

I bit off a bit more than I can chew and jumped into a double burner hero 2 Mr volcano forge as my first forge.    I tend to only use 1 of the burners as I do not do that many projects that reach all the way to the second burner and it saves fuel as well.    Should I take the second burner out of the forge when it's not running?   If so 2 questions come to mind.    1. Is it safe to have it dangling there as long as the ball valve is off?  2. Do I need to close off that hole that the burner would go into ?   

Thanks

6 hours ago, Brax said:

Should I take the second burner out of the forge when it's not running?   If so 2 questions come to mind.    1. Is it safe to have it dangling there as long as the ball valve is off?  2. Do I need to close off that hole that the burner would go into ?

So long as the burner's air openings are kept closed, it should be okay. But double check the fuel hose to that burner, to insure it isn't heating up, do to the lack of cold incoming propane vapor to cool it down; if its hose is heating up too much to touch, it is safer to remove that hose, to keep it from overheating.

As to the burner itself; so long as its air openings are kept closed by the sliding choke, the burner shouldn't overheat on these particular forges, because their burner port tubes are very close to the burner's mixing tube diameter. So, there shouldn't be any overheating from chimney effect.

You can further protect a shutdown burner be adding an internal baffle wall, to separate that half of the forge from the area you need to heat; this will also greatly increase fuel efficiency.

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. A cut IFB (insulating Fire Brick) will work as long as it is rated for forge temperatures and it's coated with something like Plistix 900F. Morgan K26 bricks usually are the ones recommended. There is a pretty good thread about the Mr. Volcano forge here.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/69760-mr-volcano-video/