I Forge Iron

Dibble

I had a cast iron one of these that was in tough shape that I was always going to repair but then thought making a new one would be less work.  I started with a piece of iron pipe and cut out a section so that I could close it up to form the point.  Then into the forge and on to the anvil to close it up.  Nest I got it hot again and swaged down a section over the horn.  This took a little more work than I thought it would as I needed the swaged section to be long enough to make the bend neatly.  I also cut a section out of the other end of the pipe to make the handle part a bit tapered and rounded over on the end but it is not shown in the picture.  Also not shown is grinding out the seams and welding them and then grinding off the bead.  Then into the vise and making the bends using the cutting torch as a heat source to keep the heat local so it would bend where I wanted.  It took me about an hour to make and I'm sure I could go faster now that I have made one.  The finish is linseed oil on hot scale.  If you don't know what a dibble is, every gardener could use one.

100_0417.JPG

100_0418.JPG

100_0420.JPG

100_0425.JPG

100_0426.JPG