Mokume delamination?

effenoam

I've had the same problem with my mokume(quarters) and pattern welded steel.  Which is, when forging the face everything goes great.  When forging on the edge(hammering on the visible stacked layers) my billet begins delaminating very quickly.  Everything looks good, check the edge on the grinder, then it splits.  Just to save you all some time, I understand the science but my skills and equipment is where I'm short.  Also, the mokume was hot when it split but not hot enough to crumble, the layers were solid when cold.

Any tips or ideas are appreciated. 

Can you post some pictures of the de lamination  ?   A couple things that help me are cleaning the stock really really well, to remove all oxidation I scrub with dawn dish soap/ hot water with a white 3m scotchbrite pad then wearing nirtile gloves I wash again with acetone before stacking the billet. The other thing is to make sure all  the pieces are cut clean and square with no waves or fish-hooks at the edges, any voids in the edges tend to be a spot for a de-lam failure to begin. I did try the stacked coin thing a few times with some success but have better luck with new, clean nickle silver, copper & brass. I haven't been brave or rich enough to try gold or silver yet.

PXL_20221005_002525640.jpg

On 10/10/2022 at 9:25 AM, oakwoodforge said:

Can you post some pictures of the de lamination  ?   A couple things that help me are cleaning the stock really really well, to remove all oxidation I scrub with dawn dish soap/ hot water with a white 3m scotchbrite pad then wearing nirtile gloves I wash again with acetone before stacking the billet. The other thing is to make sure all  the pieces are cut clean and square with no waves or fish-hooks at the edges, any voids in the edges tend to be a spot for a de-lam failure to begin. I did try the stacked coin thing a few times with some success but have better luck with new, clean nickle silver, copper & brass. I haven't been brave or rich enough to try gold or silver yet.

PXL_20221005_002525640.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't stop to take a pic.  You're probably right about needing to clean it better.  It was just odd to me how it forged one way so well but not on the other face.  On every attempt of mokume or "damascus".

There are easier metals to use than quarters. You have to work them dang HOT but getting them sanitary clean before welding is a must. I had luck flattening quarters on the anvil with a flatter then sanding the surfaces and applying a light dusting of borax before stacking them in the clamp. I found the difference between a successful weld and liquid copper alloy squirting out of the clamp was a narrow range.

Silver and copper diffusion weld like peanut butter goes on  bread. 

And no, I didn't forge a billet on edge, I made a sheet about 4" on a side to use as a dipper but didn't care for the pattern so it's somewhere in the shop unused.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just for grins, and because I hadn't tried the quarter thing in a while I spent a dollar on making this little guy yesterday for my wife.  Took the time to sand the quarters flat & smooth to 220 grit before doing the usual cleaning, I used a little borax paste for flux and a slightly rich adjustment to the gas forge, worked a treat.

PXL_20221012_191655510.PORTRAIT.jpg