I Forge Iron

Question

See if there is a blacksmith association locally that you can join - like ABANA. It's a great place to meet other smiths, get pointers, courses, and maybe a good deal on some used equipment. You may even find someone to take you under their wing and show you some of the basics.

BTW - click on the "User CP" button at the top of your screen and fill in your location on your profile. That way we can see where you're from - someone online may be in your area.

Good luck - have fun - keep hammerin'.
Your gonna like it here.

Aeneas

DIF, check out a book called DIY, Backyard Blacksmithing, by Lorelei Sims. The book can be found on ebay. I know the gal. She lives about 30 miles from me. My wife and I took a short road trip and saw her shop and got a copy of the book. It has a lot of good info in it. Also read any Blacksmithing books you can. Welcome to IFI. It's a GREAT community.

DIF, check out a book called DIY, Backyard Blacksmithing, by Lorelei Sims. The book can be found on ebay. I know the gal. She lives about 30 miles from me. My wife and I took a short road trip and saw her shop and got a copy of the book. It has a lot of good info in it. Also read any Blacksmithing books you can. Welcome to IFI. It's a GREAT community.

i 2nd that! is quite a good beginner's book...nice color pictures too...unlike all the black n white stuff in MOST blacksmithing manuals...i dunno...not a big thing but i did find it nice for a change...

one thing i did notice too...she's got some huge biceps on her :P

inazuma, She does have that, and she is a very knowledgeable smith. Very friendly and polite.

i bet! would be nice to meet her someday...a local blacksmith runs annual events called the "Hot Iron Muster" where he gets in smiths from overseas to do demos and the like...wonder if she'd be interested in the 2009HIM :)