I Forge Iron

Regulator freezing

Judehey

Went out to do a little smithing and my regulator froze, resulting in the forge surging and dripping liquid propane. The regulator is connected directly to the 40# tank.  I was running about 3 psi, and it happened in less than 10 minutes. Temperature is 70F with high humidity, and the regulator frosted over and the adjustment shaft was frozen in place. I switched to an identical tank, the one I normally use,  and ran without any problems for about 10 minutes before I ran out of time. 

What could be causing this?  My only guess is contaminated fuel. I had a problem with a naturally aspirated torch on this tank previously, but it was below freezing in the smithy so I assumed it was the temperature. Both tanks are about a year old, bought and filled at Tractor Supply within a month or two of each other. The problem tank is on its initial fill. 

Thanks

That sounds like a problem with the tank itself. One of two things came to mind right off, first it was overfilled but you would've noticed that immediately. Or second your regulator had gone bad. 

However if the reg. functioned properly on a different tank the reg is probably okay. Bad propane is always a possibility but no way should liquid be getting to the reg. unless it was considerably overfilled. 

I think you should take that tank back to where you bought it and have it replaced I think it has the wrong gas pickup. That's just a guess. The magic phrase is, new tank, initial fill, dangerously B A D problem. Tractor Supply will exchange it for a full one with minimum explanation of your problem. NOBODY wants their name on a bad propane tank. 

The only other thing I can imagine would your be burner drawing so much propane it's causing a full tank to boil after only 10 minutes but that's unlikely unless your burner is drawing a huge amount of gas. More than a weed burner that provides the giant flame with the press of the lever. Your other tank would be freezing up in minutes with that kind of draw so I doubt it. Unless your burner does indeed draw huge amounts of propane.

Frosty The Lucky.

One way to check the tank, is to disconnect the regulator and crack the valve to see if liquid propane sprays out. I had a 20 pound tank do that which was over filled. There is also a plug with a hole in the screw driver slot in the side of the valve that when I would have them filled, the attendant would loosen the plug and when liquid came out of the hole the tank was full. I would be nervous messing with that though. My luck I wouldn't be able to get it closed and lose the whole contents.