I Forge Iron

J Wilkinson & Son

Hello all, I picked this up for a song while I was visiting a friend in North Carolina. I was wondering if anyone had seen the cross on a J Wilkinson like this instead of the classic "hot dogs"? The stamp around the cross looks to say "J WILKINSON & SON" and underneath is the remnants of "QUEENS DUDLEY". The only other markings are the hundred weight on the other side, 0 3 7. No stampings i can see on the feet under the horn or where the heel used to live. 

My original thought for buying it was to use as a striking anvil, but I'm toying with the idea of standing some 3/4 inch plate on edge and rebuilding the heel in a German square horn pattern. Maybe add a cute little upsetting block? I could also add a section of round stock to the far edge of the face like some German anvils have to aid in drawing out? Just playing with ideas. 

Rebound is probably 85% or so, and it rings nicely. I think a little 100lb German/English anvil would be fun, and im not out too much money if it fails. I'd give it the typical preheat and post heat, but honestly probably just weld with 7018. Not doing any welding on the sweet spot of the face where heavy hammering would be done, and what I'd be welding on shouldn't ever see much heavy work. 

Thoughts on my crazy and evil intentions? And back to my original question, has anyone seen this style cross on a Wilkinson?

Thanks, Keith 

20220705_203148.thumb.jpg.ae1c77a803792b86881e62beb024b0f9.jpg20220705_203152.thumb.jpg.c18fe6b91d60d4e0737d3608062eff94.jpg20220705_212249.thumb.jpg.1d0f5563305e247500e889bccba0ab0f.jpg

It's perfectly useable now, anything you can do with a heel can be done with an anvil bridge. Doing the amount of welding you propose would pretty much require heat treating the results anyway so you could do a hot preheat for 100% penetration.

Depending on how large a square horn you added would make naming it sort of iffy. Would it be an Englman pattern or Germish?

Frosty The Lucky.

I know its completely usable as is. I already have several other anvils i use on the regular though. Bought this one for a fun project. It would definitely be germish lol. 

My main question was on the variation of the cross since I can't find any pics of a j wilkinson with this style of cross.